Monday, August 2, 2010

Love Letter 266 This Act

I leave you
because it's the only thing to do
the only thing I've learned
to do

I press my bed against the wall
so I feel safer
the wall does not think me silly

so this is
the way
I've lived

all things in their place
of making sense
sometimes

and so

I
use
this
all the time
as my default

I have not followed you up to bed
because I know
there is warfare
around the corner
sometimes
so I
will avoid
it all

sleep tight
I will say
walking out
to my own ambivalence and anger

You hear me
in my footsteps

and the shutting door
is like a lid on a coffin

except, my love

that I have bowed down
in the ashes
of your throne/crown tore off me
and I have let you ride
a zillion times
on my white magnet horse
and I have given you up
so someone might know
you deeper
and wake your art
(more fully)

and my dear
I have practiced
looking long and hard
at my weakness
as you praised me
and hid
your very last thought

and my beloved,
from this threshold
of the door shutting
I can see
that God is not wearing
my
illusions

I can feel you put your head
on the pillow

in my heart
there are poems
about this act

but for now
I will let sleep take you
while I learn

I love you,
Your Beloved

No comments:

Post a Comment