Sunday, May 9, 2010

Love Letter 182 Three Hundred and Twelve

Come on!
You're not turning in already? are you?
I haven't measured your elbows
or counted your eyelashes
or pressed my lips into that one question that you haven't asked

We need to stay up!
I need to record
your breathing while you wash dishes
and sweep the floor
and read your mail

and then

I want to clean
under you fingernails
and make you soup

and bend you a spoon.

no, no
I know you don't need those things,
but
I Need to Give Them to You
I need more time to praise you
to sketch and paint the plural venus' in your eyes
I need to know
how many sticks and stones
built you
and how many names
you've been called, while standing tall in who you are
I need to know
if you paused
before you said
YES
to me
or if you were always sure

it's okay, whichever
because
I am still here
running my finger in the groove of all your Yeses
I am still here
counting the spirals in your fingerprint

I Love You
Your Beloved

No comments:

Post a Comment