Monday, May 10, 2010

Love Letter 183 I Am Not Civilized

...before I ever knew
...before I stood here
...before grace was a verb
...and the heart had habits, not entirely its own

before anything had been written down...
before the brain became a household...
before trees were carved out (into canoes)
and birds flew south (for winter)

before before:

the archery of your butter
cast its milky spin:

claws collapsed into fingers
rain was still dreaming in heaven
fibers were brewed into one still mass

all collected for you

like a love letter floating in the year of our birth
the swallow rendered the hen
the ice; steam
the surrender became a game
I dragged you into
so I could learn
to give up
all that had come before
and after
YOU

surrender
SURRENDER
Surrender

I work so hard
to learn to love

and yet
Love
is so easy

my quest for you, a constant crow

"let go of working so hard"
"let go of learning"

What is left?

Love

I love you
Your Beloved

1 comment: