Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Love Letter 213 I Cannot Promise What I Say is True

I have nothing to say to you.
having lost the art of french,
hindi, silence
having lost the art of weaving my fingers into a prayer to animate for you
having lost the art
of bending
into fertile ground
or glimpses of heaven

in fact, I left the oven on
heating the whole house
so hot
so I could lose my coolness
or any protection I had against discomfort
then I disrobed
and ran into a spin, so violent
the whole house shook into ash

but as I was doing this
one thing kept happening
all I had lost came back
in multiples
my shirt and socks
the things I had always wanted to say
the beads of scripture implanted in my heart

but still
even naked,
with everything at my feet
nothing lost
all of it gained back, abundant

I shrugged my shoulders

what was it
to perform
these arts
anyway?

what is it
to give you
what has already been given
you a million times a million
an infinite number of times?

my heart began to murmur
and I had nothing to do with it
I donated everything to silence

I stopped trying to say
anything
with my mouth, hands, body and eyes

I began shivering in
the cold dark mess
of misjudging
what was necessary
to You

I let alone
all this singleness
of thinking

I let alone
all this hatred for triumph and trying

I let alone victory
and resolution

I let alone You

so I could fall back
on something
greater
than myself

I stopped putting my inventions to the test,
stopped trying to be pragmatic
or imaginative
stopped trying to be a genius
jumping up and down for honorary mentions
I stopped trying
to get you to notice
what I had let go of,
how I had improved,
what I had to offer,
how much better I could love you now.

I stopped trying to see you
from inside
my shit hole
of content
or discontent
my ornery oasis
my funhouse
of apathetic mirrors and apologetic abstinence
my advice for a better life, a new film about positives
I stopped trying new positions
and set aside old ones
in fact. I stopped moving
and I stopped staying still

I let go of all commitments. all commandments
and anything else that felt shallow, used and rehearsed

I let go of sunrise
and death
and the idea of eating upon waking
I let go of sleep
and hanging around
and checking my mail

and then I stopped letting go
why not?
it seemed, I had become too familiar with that act too
I stopped wanting to be an artist
I stopped wanting to be good at everything
I stopped being convinced I was a failure
I stopped struggling with what it means to fail
I stopped trying to get in touch
with who I thought you were

I left you alone

then
Surprise

You showed up

and I said
nothing
did nothing
I was full on naked
and useless
but not in any shocking or soulful way

and you put Your arms around me
You carried me out
to the sunshine
You poured kerosene
on my whole body
and asked me, what now, should you do?
I put my hand out
and You joined me
and we lay there together
laughing and rolling around
soaking wet

but it was a hot day
so hot
that
!!!!!!!!!

...well
you were there!

We burst into flames
not like I had pictured once
but
real terrific flames of laughter
jubilees really
and people came
to us
with their marshmallows
and cold fingers
rubbing them against our halos
and they pulled up chairs
some of them soldering things broken, into cosmic cornucopias and living 3 dimensional Renoirs
the whole neighborhood made violins and tambourines out of burning debris, our wrists and limbs, those beautiful eyelashes I love of yours
and made a band
the organic automatic they called it
and played well on
into the week
month
year

An entire celebration
started by our fire

oh!!!
had I thought of it sooner
it never would have been this fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment