Monday, September 27, 2010

Love Letter 319 Which Coast are You On?

Beloved, we scrambled
for the last piece
last night

the last piece of the last star
you held it
then I did
then something in one of us... both of us
snatched it apart

you took it from me
I took it from you
but the Ocean knows we did not share it

All that's been given to us
we act
as if
it's ours

while you sit across from me
I see you as separate

even our lovemaking
perishes
in our struggle

your turn
my turn
something
gives up
and there is no longer
the lover or beloved

only the bed with 2 leaping frogs
only those lawn chairs chafing in the dark
only the lucid wind
happening upon 2 angels
clipping
each other's wings

oh, my love
I have done you so much wrong
I have taken my own prison
and invited you into it

when I could have
given it up

I could have loved you better, my love,
can't you see that?
you deserved more
but
I have consoled myself in isolation
self-absorption, my only weapon
each rancid tracking device, de-fended

All the while
you were chasing me
with bowls of honey
I thought you were a hive of bees

each time
you were dropping a coin
in my till/strongbox
I thought you were stealing my strength

Beloved
we have come to this sea bed
and divvied up the fish
the ocean is empty
and all I am asking
is
for its forgiveness

maybe then
I can replenish
this desert
we invented
between our 2 oases

maybe then
I can give all I have taken
back

maybe then
the stars can trust us
to make love
under them
like lovers
who no longer thieve for love

Maybe then
you can trust my
I Love You

Your Beloved

No comments:

Post a Comment